“Christmas Disaster December 2016”
Review of Davvi Arctic Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Karesuvanto
Davvi Arctic Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Karesuvanto
Reviewed 5 May 2017

Family trip booked at Davvi Artic Lodge with Transun December 2016. Following a tragic event the hotel, Transun and their staff in Lapland and the UK were unable to recover any of the Christmas magic that we envisaged on this trip. Imagine taking your two young children to Lapland and have them reduced to tears for 2 whole days after their Christmas dreams are shattered. Lengthy complaint was submitted to Transun in December, we are now 5 months on and have not had this resolved by arrogant staff at the company, who refuse to respond to letters and phonecalls. Numerous customers on the same trip are experiencing similar problems. Be mindful that your are travelling to an Arctic region where staff are seasonal workers and have no artic experience. We may have been able to overlook the shortcomings within the hotel, had the whole trip not been such a disaster......Tired hotel, curtains hanging off the windows, filthy broken shower, had to sit on the floor to eat our evening meal on night of arrival due to insufficient tables available, regularly no seats to sit on given the number of customers in the bar, mens toilets broken seat and door locks, hotel Manager rude and unhelpful when disaster occurred, staff complaining constantly in customer earshot regarding working conditions, reps complaining and absolutely out of their depth with contingency planning when whole weekend trips were cancelled. 6 hour airline delays upon return. I could go on and on about this matter, have a look at the attached pictures, then check out the Transun brochure and Website, then decide for yourself. Finland is beautiful but not travelling with Transun.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
5  Thank Ccbclc

Reviewed 2 May 2017 via mobile

We visited The Davvi for Christmas booked with Transun and we had an amazing time. The lodge was really warm and cosy, the food was lovely and homely and all the excursions were really well organised. It was the trip of a lifetime, we had an amazing experience! Thank you Transun and Davvi!

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
6  Thank claire c
Reviewed 7 April 2017

This was one of the best holidays my wife and I have been on. A week in this beautiful setting with lots of friendly staff and guests and activities that we have never tried before (or are ever likely to in the Uk!)
Snowmobiling, huskies, reindeer, ice fishing, snow shoes, toboggans, northern lights, we did it all, and loved it. The trips out were well organised and the guides were lovely and really seemed to enjoy their jobs.
Our accommodation, apart from an issue with our shower flooding, was very comfortable and plenty warm enough and the same can be said for the restaurant
The food was plentiful and wholesome (if a little odd at times), but we were there in the last week of the season and considering the remote location I have no issues at all that the chefs had to improvise a little.
The temperatures were between 0c and -12c, it snowed on occasions, it was windy on occasions and towards the end we had glorious sunshine. All in all a beautiful place to spend your time
Granted, we didn't experience the really cold temperatures and blizzards that others have done but I would definitely recommend this holiday.
Just be prepared to accept whatever Mother Nature (or the chefs) throw at you and have fun

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank ianmorrell
Reviewed 5 April 2017

We undertook our Northern Lights Arctic short break with Transun in late February.
The lodge we found to be mostly satisfactory: our Aurora House room was very comfortable with a stunning bathroom, warm and with plenty of space. Issues with the room: the fire smoked terribly when we tried to light it, clearly there was something wrong, but staff did put that right. In truth when it was lit we got far too hot! Our sauna didn't work either, but it was sorted with a bit of insistence on our part. The restaurant offered an excellent choice of well cooked and interesting meals: we experienced no shortage of vegetables and salads, which other reviewers have mentioned. Indeed we felt very well fed. The wine choice was adequate, very drinkable, and the cost comparable to hotels in England. Service by the restaurant staff was attentive.
Lodge staff we found to be pleasant, but not always too helpful: I made a complaint because I wanted decaf tea at breakfast (I can't drink anything else), but was told I would have to pay for this! So it was available in the hotel, but denied to me unless I paid more. I opted for hot water instead - that came free.I passed this issue as a complaint to reception on the first morning, but no manager was available then. I left the matter with them and expected a response later. None came. Rubbish really - causing a poor customer experience for the small cost of decaf teabags!
The activities were all very enjoyable and the young staff were mostly enthusiastic. My major issue was the snowmobiling activity, where you could only take part if the customer signed a damage waiver of €980. Not a risk I was prepared to take: €980 for an hour's snowmobiling? No! In fact, we did hope to insure for this, but our investigations revealed that the insurance Transun offers does not cover personal accident or personal liability whilst snowmobiling. In fact, the Transun team's knowledge of their own insurance, which they were selling, was abysmal. Eventually we had to speak direct to their broker for real clarification of cover.
Other matters - the snow suits were somewhat old, but were warm. The boots were a mixture and if they were old or new was a bit of a lottery. Mine were old, not very warm or comfy, so I chose to wear my own hiking boots instead.
We did enjoy the holiday for an Arctic winter experience. The landscape is beautiful. Our objective was to see The Northern Lights and sadly, we only saw a very fleeting, underwhelming display. Nevertheless I do not regret taking the holiday.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank alf69
Reviewed 30 March 2017 via mobile

We had a cabin and I thought it was very good, comfortable bed, large room with plenty of space for clothes and a comfortable sofa. Good shower and fab sauna. Room very warm, but just turned radiator down and was fine, good porch to leave boots and suits in. Saw hotel rooms and they were horrible, really small and depressing, choose a cabin.
Excursions were all good, especially loved huskies, guys instructing were great. In fact all instructors were great, staff at hotel were lovely. Ewan the transun rep was less than useless, just went to sleep on coach on way to hotel, couldn't understand what he was saying at meeting and barely saw him the rest of week, unless it was a mealtime. Quincy was great, the opposite, very enthusiastic.
Now for the food, at the start of the week it was ok, but as week went on got worse, it was the last week before closing for season, and it felt like they were clearing out the freezer, lots of fish fingers, chicken nuggets, bad pizza, chips and frozen veg, also lots of mince in various guises. Just was not very good, which was a shame as the rest of the trip was pretty good.
I wouldn't go again, but am pleased I did, as it was an enjoyable week doing trips which I wouldn't normally do, and meet some fabulous people.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Diane D

Been to Davvi Arctic Lodge? Share your experiences!