“Sunny break in Scotland!”

The Manor Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Torthorwald
Reviewed 16 June 2016

We cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. Our room was a good size and had a sofa for added comfort and it was kept spotlessly clean. The beds were super comfortable and we slept well.
I had liaised with Ken throughout our booking procedure and this was all handled most efficiently. In fact Ken was most attentive whilst we were guests.
We cannot heap enough praise on this hotel for its excellent standard of cuisine, both breakfast and dinner were always fantastic. The highland chicken was delicious and whenever we ate the staff went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed the experience.
We chose to stay here as we like to go to nature reserves and we found several in the area, Ken Dee marshes, Threave Castle, Caelaverock and Lockerbie, all of which we can recommend the latter providing a red squirrel amongst many different species of animals.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good view of the garden
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Manor Country House Hotel

Reviewed 13 June 2016

We have just spent 2 nights at this hotel and I have to say Ken and Caroline are two of the best hoteliers I have met.....we were greeted at the door by Caroline the first day and by a member of staff the second day.....The room was large and very clean....we ate in the restaurant on our second night and the food was delicious....I had the salmon with coconut rice sweet chilli sauce and stir fried veg....my husband and one of our friends had highland chicken (chicken stuffed with haggis) mash and veg and he thought it was brilliant....we also know the fajitas are excellent too as our friend had that and he loved them.....the staff couldn't be more friendly and polite....the price for the meal was very reasonable too....we ate in the bar rather than the dinning room and the atmosphere was brilliant....there was a large tv playing but it didn't spoil and thing as it was not overly loud....breakfast was a delight....even though I ordered a full English for my husband and Ken laughingly pointed out it was a full Scottish....for which I apologised....I had poached egg with toast (I will point out here that they are not done in a proper poacher but were beautifully cooked with runny yolks and the white properly cooked and not like jelly like I have had in other hotels) and we also had a mound of toast with butter jam and honey on the table too.
The hotel is child friendly too as there was a couple of families there and they were well looked after too.
The only thing I would say is the beds are quite firm and as I have arthritis in my back I found them to be uncomfortable....I pointed this out to Ken and he said it was because he had just replaced most of the beds and he chose firm ones because he wanted good ones that would stand up to the constant use....this will not stop me from going again as I did mange to sleep.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 June 2016 via mobile

Had a lovely meal worth the money i paid for it the staff where very friendly and also child friendly. It was in a quite area. There was a big car park the gardens where nice. The hotel is a 10 minute drive to Dumfries and half hour to Carlisle.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2016 via mobile

Great family run hotel with excellent food and hospitality. Salt and pepper chicken stir fry was spot on. Even have their own friendly bar dog! Relaxing stay and Ken the owner a smashing host. Excellent base 5 minutes from Dumfries and not far from motorway.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 May 2016

Booked last minute for the Steak Night (Friday) . even although we live 5 minutes away we hadnt been to the Manor for a long time. We will certainly be back very soon. Excellent meal great value for money and the staff were lovely. Thank you..See you soon.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torthorwald
12.7 km away
3.5 km away
Travelodge Dumfries
Travelodge Dumfries
#6 of 7 in Dumfries

Been to The Manor Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!