“Rude and not children friendly at all”
Review of The Bicycle Cafe

The Bicycle Cafe
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Flesherton
Price range: US$6 - US$23
Cuisines: Cafe, Grill, Fusion
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Bicycle Cafe makes delicious food to order. Reasonably priced, fresh ingredients and casual dining. Listen to music, play games, have a glass of wine, local beer or a cocktail. Take your time. We also make proper coffee supplied by I Deal out of Toronto. Delicious desserts made in house as well. What you put in your body is serious business, we respect that. Take out available but not encouraged. We would sooner you take a break and enjoy your food at a table rather than a car seat. You will not be disappointed when you visit or return.
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Tried stopping there about 6 months ago on the way North but it looked too busy, so went next door to the bakery (which is amazing by the way). Anyway today being Easter Sunday had no choice but to go there. Read the review that it was great for kids...

Not sure if the menu has changed but there was barely anything on that menu that my 3 yr. old would eat. Very sophisticated menu... Well got our food and as I'm trying to feed my 3 yr old a burnt grilled cheese I had to rip it into pieces as she refused to bite. Oh every time the servers would pass I got a weird look, like come on my child needs to eat I'm not doing anything rude. Well at some point my daughter refused to eat completely so I took out my phone and she started to watch some you tube kids and eat. It was not loud or offensive well 2 mins later a guy comes out (not sure if he was the owner or who) and says "you gonna have to turn it down", not could you please but he's giving me this ultimatum, otherwise what he's gonna kick me out? Anyway we were planning to get desserts there as well, but we just left. I was extremely upset. Very rude and not child friendly at all, not the menu not the atmosphere.

They are trying to pretend they are some fancy high dining place which they are barely better than a Tim Hortons in my opinion. Never ever will I be stopping there again and I go back and forth a lot.

Peter R, Owner at The Bicycle Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Bacon and eggs, oatmeal pancakes, fresh fruit smoothies, steamed rice, avocado, fruit bowls, fresh local perch, chicken soup, grilled chicken breast, toast and jam, hummus and crackers, crudité… honestly, your 3 year old “would not eat” any of these items? This alone speaks volumes about your visit. This seems to be a clear case of a guest hating what we were not rather than what we are. Also, we were not the “last choice” by a long shot. Within 30m of our café is Village Pizza, which offers pizza, fries and chicken finger fare or Highland Grounds, a Christian coffee shop that offers fair trade goods and also makes soups, sandwiches and a variety of home baked snacks… they also have plastic play structures indoor, right in their front window for kids and toddlers to play on while their parents enjoy their lunch. Why on earth did you pick on us?

It is reprehensible in this day and age, that honest business owners like ourselves have to suffer condemnation from guests, whom we ultimately serve, for standing up to the entitlement they feel they have to stream videos and make phone calls as if they were in their own living room. For those of you who have read this far and are considering experiencing our cafe, please be aware that although we do offer free wifi, we insist that you mute your devices or use headphones if need be. It is a very small open kitchen one room establishment. Our guests come to eat, relax, work, socialize, and play games… not to listen to your media or you talk to someone who is not in the room... the furthest thing from a national fast food chain. We first asked you politely, or to be specific, your child who was watching the video as we respect children as individuals, to turn the volume down. This request was ignored. A few minutes later, I came out from the kitchen and directed you to turn your volume down. I did so sternly as you were obviously not interested in being agreeable. Also, the volume was so ridiculously loud, that I was in absolute disbelief that you could be so disrespectful and self centered in a common space at the request of my wife on behalf of our staff and the other guests. The example you set is precisely why we take this stand.

As for your “review” of our food, well, if your child’s lunch was overcooked, you should have said as much. We would have rectified this immediately. It was a cheese sandwich and hardly and impact to our bottom line to redo it for you. No such request was made, and it seems had you done so, you would have not needed to turn to the distraction of your screen as a resort. I will assume that the meals you and your husband devoured were just fine, but not worth mentioning or perhaps undetectable because of the bitterness you radiated. It would have been nice had you provided a fulsome review of your experience for the benefit of the Trip Advisor community, and not just a rant intended to sully our name. And yes, our restaurant is somewhat more refined and sophisticated that what you might expect along a highway in rural Ontario. We find that many of our guests love to stop in after hiking, backcountry camping, working their field all afternoon, being at a three-day music festival, or driving for hours without a break. At The Bicycle, they can enjoy the comforts of a cloth napkin, a china plate, polished glass and proper silverware, even if they have not changed clothing in two nights and have muddy boots. An enjoyable meal is about much more than just the edible ingredients. We welcome everyone to our tables.

We are child friendly, and have children of our own who spend a great deal of time at the cafe with us, doing schoolwork, interacting with guests and helping out with our family business. We have plenty of children’s literature, paper and art supplies as well as a pile of accessible games and toys, that ironically (perhaps) were right on the shelf beside where your husband was sitting, within reach, without even having to get up. You yourself were directly facing it. Seriously? What gives Julia? Why did you even come in to The Bicycle? It seemed the only choice you didn’t have was to have a bad time.

Reviewed 12 March 2018

Stopped in for lunch on an exploratory excursion to the region, and was so glad we did! Welcoming and attentive service-even scared up a charge cord for my phone which was about to die-and delicious fresh food. Loved the relaxed and relaxing atmosphere. Truly felt invited is "sit back and rest a spell". It looks like it would be fun to catch a live show there too. A gem!

Thank you so much for taking the time to spread the love. Glad you came to visit the Highlands... we have loads to offer. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

I had the BBQ Pork bowl for lunch and my life will never be the same! I can't stop thinking about it....So... I went back the next and tried the chicken shawarma bowl and was just as mind blown. Just go there.
The owner was absolutely wonderful, so helpful, kind and welcoming.
I will be bringing back my family on a two hour drive that will be so worth the drive

Thank you, thank you, thank you. So glad you appreciate what it is we do. Your praise is encouragement to continue.

Reviewed 18 February 2018

If you're looking for steak on a kaiser or a roast beef sandwich with gravy, this is not the place for you. With menu items like Perch Sandwich, Spicy African Stew and Pork & Chive Dumplings, this cafe offers a truly unique assortment of foods in a very pleasant and relaxed atmosphere. Prices are reasonable and the atmosphere is very 'homey'. We'll stop there any time we're passing through. Truly lovely

We do our best to have something for everyone. We don't always succeed, but most of the time we feel we hit the mark. Thank you for taking the time to show your appreciation. It means a lot.

Reviewed 21 January 2018

Very nice little spot with great food. Very eclectic menu. Loved it! Will be back for sure even though it will be out of the way for me.

And we will make it worth it! Thank you!