Podere Le Volte(Pergine Valdarno)
  • Pool
A Casa Di Raffa(Pieve A Presciano)
Priceline
Casa Di Vignolo(Pergine Valdarno)
Agoda.com
TripAdvisor
Agriturismo Podere Bellaria(Pergine Valdarno)
TripAdvisor
B&B Nonna Maria(Pergine Valdarno)
B&B.it
All reviewstuscan hillsbeautiful wedding venuefantastic viewslocal produceperfect locationsurroundingschiantidrivefattoriaaccommodationflorencecontrastladiesestatenaturevilla
Reviewed 21 May 2016

On arrrival we were advised we were not able to have the rooms that we booked as they had given the hotel over to a conference booking, not a very good start. We were then shown to rooms that were a walk away from the main hotel. The rooms were so dark that even during the beautiful summer days you needed to put the lights on. The blankets were stained with holes in them. On arrival the hotel left one bottle of water and the obligatory small bottles of shampoo and shower gel, which is important when you are on a 3 day, quick break with hand luggage only, none of these items were replenished. We ate at the hotel the first night and ordered a wonderful dish of homemade pasta, unfortunately this arrived an hour after our starter as the conference party came into dine and they were prioritised. Sadly the pasta was cold as it was served onto cold plates and was sent back. The room, oh dear, the sound insulation is so poor that we were woken up by the upstairs room using the toilet which didn't leave anything to the imagination, you took your life in your hands by using the shower as the thermostat was clearly faulty , it went from freezing cold to life threateningly hot.
The swimming pool wasn't filled until our second day and was clearly only filled as a leaving present for the conference party, that partied around the pool until 2am. It was indeed very kind of them to ask us to join in, but after a day's sightseeing it would've been nice to have returned to the peace and tranquility of the hotel and not an outdoor party with live music until the early hours of the morning right outside our room The hotel advertises as having free wifi, the wifi is only available in the foyer of the hotel. On our last day we had to leave the hotel at 8 am to get our return flight, we asked if we could have an early breakfast at 7.30 am due to our early departure, we were advised by the hotel that 7.30 was far too early for the staff and were not even offered for them to leave us any fruit /water. We got talking to another couple that had been staying in the hotel for several days that had also been impacted by the conference, they decided to throw in the towel and leave 3 days before they were due to leave! Sadly I think that says it all.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
DirezioneMontelucci, Proprietario at Montelucci Country Resort & Agriturismo di Charme, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2016

Dear Hoppo,
we are really sorry about your comments. We are aware that very few customers sometimes don't appreciate our services, but as shown the reviews, the great majority of our guests are very happy to stay in Montelucci.
Our country resort is composed by a main building with few rooms and the "casali", spread in the countryside, where most of our accommodation are hosted.
You have been accommodated in the "Ciliegio" room, part of one of our beautiful "casale" (country house).
As advertised, we are not an "hotel" but a "country house", maybe this caused most of the misunderstandings about our services (like beauty items).
Our country resort is made of ancient and historical buildings, nestled in the woods; we found quite strange that you noticed a low sound isolation since our walls are really very thick.
The Wi-fi service is available only in the reception, as advertised everywhere. Maybe you should have taken a look in our website before reservation.
The swimming pool service is available subject to the weather conditions; we had a very bad weather during May and we're sorry that we could not fill it on time.
Concerning the restaurant, the dish of pasta was served by Claudia, the restaurant supervisor, who confimed that the dish was hot when it was served at your table.
During your stay we have hosted a company meeting, all our efforts have been concentrated in giving the best services to every client.
Anyway, we are very sorry about your disappointment, and that you only noticed the bad issues. We believe that your evaluation doesn't reflect the reality of our resort, as you can read in all the other comments.
best regards,

Reviewed 29 April 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for three nights.

Plus points- The scenery surrounding the hotel is breathtaking . As is the building/ buildings. The staff especially Honey and Claudia could not have been more friendly. We were treated to a few glasses of the home produced Chianti and bread with their own olive oil. Both delicious. Ate in the hotel restaurant . Restaurant is stunning and the food was very good. I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We drove into Sienna( stunningly beautiful) in just under an hour and took the train from a nearby village into Florence, again a beautiful city.

Negatives - Although a truly stunning location with ultra friendly, helpful staff I feel that with a little more attention to detail the place could be so improved. Tea/ coffee making facilities in room would be nice. Wifi only available in reception ( although in such a remote location probably unavoidable) our room was supposed to be a superior room and although delightfully quaint and clean would have benefitting from a design overhaul. You would definitely need to have a car here as nothing close and you'd miss out on so much beautiful scenery. I've rated four stars but it could so easily have been a five with some more attention to little details and luxury touches. That said all the negatives are very minor and Id recommend to anyone looking for a peaceful relaxing break in stunning surroundings .

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
DirezioneMontelucci, Proprietario at Montelucci Country Resort & Agriturismo di Charme, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2016

Many thanks for sharing your kind comments regarding your stay at our Resort.

We are pleased to note that overall you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our hospitality in such a beautiful location.

It is always rewarding for our personnel to receive such positive feedback and we have thanked them for their continued hard work and attention to our guests.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to Montelucci again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 25 October 2015

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Unlike my previous reviews I’m sad to say this one is more about the reasons I disliked staying at this resort and will do my best to give you the least biased view and only point out the facts. For those who wouldn’t like to read it all, here is a snapshot; my advise is to avoid this place if you are looking for hotel style accommodation and service, if however you enjoy back packing and camping you will enjoy this place. Unfortunately I don’t believe this is value for money even with a deal so I would look for something more into the mountains like near Loro Ciuffenna if you want to enjoy the scenery and lovely setting.

So now for the elaborated version
The Good
Let me start with the Good and let me say this resort is set in an amazingly rural area of Tuscany with some beautiful authentic farm buildings located off a dirt road which we never expected and wondered how this place had been found. Before I start ranting about my unmet expectations, I have to say Claudia who I believe is the manager couldn’t have been friendlier and more willing to address any of my requests. Staff in general had been very friendly and accommodating.
We had hot shower and heating worked well. The views were amazing and the olive oil they produce was lovely.
Before we arrived I made contact by email and confirmed we should be arriving early afternoon instead we arrived late afternoon and were offered a complimentary drink and showed to our room. I have to add that when the hotel had 20+ guests on the weekend, we were offered an additional few deserts, freshly baked.
When we checked out we were offered a gift bottle of wine but I confirmed we don’t drink and they were happy to fill us a bottle with their olive oil instead, which happen to taste very nice.
I love Italy for the attention to detail you can observe and experience in their food, architecture, art, sculptures, shoes, clothing but to name a few and that is why this experience had been so disappointing.

This brings me to the Bad and the Ugly

The Room
We arrived in the middle of the week and was told we were only two couples in the resort, though it sounded great it didn’t turn out to be. I’ve requested a kettle in the room and they kindly complied but no cups were supplied. The room temperature was 13°C when we arrived and needed to call reception to guide me on how to turn the heat up. It was a little disappointing that no one offered to help with the luggage to the room either, but I thought I misread the info on the hotel and expected too much.

In the bathroom was a strong damp smell that I cleared up in two days with some extreme heat in the bathroom. The chrome pipework for the sanitary ware was covered in longterm dust and remained that way throughout our stay. Some other minor defects in the bathroom but at least my wife thought the light was good for makeup in the morning so we stayed in the room.

The room wasn’t the type of place where you could stay in for the day and chill, read a book or watch tv, infact the light was well too low for reading, the tv had only italian channels(although we were told 90% guests are from UK) and the only place you had some sofas were in the communal space in the house(housing 2 bedrooms) but even the light was extremely low and uninviting. We did have a fireplace though but I had to ask for wood from the manager. I tried it once but even with a window open the smoke was too much to try it again, guess not enough draft through the chimney.

Cleaning was basic and though everything appeared clean on the walking in, a spilt of plaster dust remained on our floor for 3 days, marks on glass tables not wiped throughout the stay.

Dining hall and reception
1st night we had dinner and although the food was nice the space was no warmer than 15°C even with placing us near the fireplace the food were cold by the time we swallowed.
We’ve spend a couple of evenings in the reception(only place to access guest WIFI) having tea and desert as the dining hall was too cold.
We noticed on the weekend when a few more people(approximately 20) checked in for the weekend, things were better in the dining room and at breakfast more food was available.

During breakfast(included) we made it clear (on the first day) what we like to eat(fresh tomato, fruit, brown bread, tea) We expected freshly baked bread(as promised in their PR) but instead got mainstream product from supermarket, no authentic products, even on day six we’re told they ran out of grapes, brown bread and will be shopping that day. By this time it became clear (as we were the only guests in the hotel) we were thrown the scraps.
Cutlery had water stain marks, china was almost clean, wood stove in dining area had spilled ash next to it. More disappointing though was the lack of hygiene during breakfast for example, food uncovered, flies all over and though I kept covering food when we arrived every morning still the same and even on day 6 the food remained uncovered for an hour before we sat down although we were the only couple still at the resort.
Being from Africa flies are part of life and therefore I’m surprised they had been unable to control this, I can’t imagine what the summer must be like.

On the last day I entered the empty kitchen to rinse the kettle after it had a dead fly inside, flies over the fruit juices, bread, etc. even throughout the week I helped myself to tea cups, tea bags and visiting the kitchen to wash the fruit.

Constant smoke smell in the reception had us asking if staff were smoking inside but we were assured they stand outside the reception.

Services
We were told by our agent internet is available but once at the hotel it was only available in the reception but no comfortable seating and even here we had to ask to turn the heating on in the reception.
Throughout the entire stay we continuously had to ask for services and food to the point that by day two I felt uncomfortable and even nagging for keep asking bread, butter, tea, water for the kettle, toilet paper etc.
During the weekend when about 20 guests stayed only one 2 slice toaster and one domestic kettle served all. One morning I needed a tray to take breakfast for my wife to the room, I was asked to return the tray as they don’t have many, I could be anal and add no one offered to take the BF to our room.

Upon check-out we found some of the restaurant bill had been inflated(happens all over Italy, we found) and didn’t include a prior agreed discount to the restaurant bill. Of course the staff were very apologetic and rectified the issue, nonetheless this compounded my disbelieve in the service delivery of this resort.
After we checked out I found out other areas were onsite, including a pool table, relaxing comfy chairs in airy place and treatment room but was never made available to us.

Overall impression
The impression you get is the place is run on a very tight budget when outside the summer (I can’t comment on Summer time) and if you are the only guests you will be neglected, furthermore judging the overall service of the resort it appears the hotel takes second chair to the farming business. The attention to detail you expect customary for hotels or a resort of this stature was below par and we felt staff were aiming to deter us from asking for more.
We felt the staff weren’t dressed professionally for a hotel, dressed in slacks and didn’t look presentable.

Generally there appeared to be a lack of foresight in managing our expectations.

Thins conclude my rant and I invite the resort to comment on my review

Stayed: October 2015
2  Thank Jan R
DirezioneMontelucci, Direttore at Montelucci Country Resort & Agriturismo di Charme, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2015

“Hallo Ian,

Thank you for your very useful highlights,

We will use them to improve the things in our beautiful farm house.

Best Regards

Reviewed 25 September 2015

Initial dissapotment as our room was not as expected.It was very dark with broken shutters that squeaked and banged all night(they were fixed after two nights).Our "view was of the broken roof of an outbuilding rather than the glorious views across the valley afforded by some other rooms. It was rather more basic than we had expected but was clean and the linen was changed daily. However, the holiday was rescued by the charming hosts, Claudia and Francesco. Nothing was too much trouble and Claudia, in particular truly made the holiday a lovely, relaxing experience. Food in the restaurant was very good, the pool area was lovely and the location really peaceful.. One factor not obvious on the website is that every weekend from about May to October they host a wedding. This means the main restaurant is unavailable and there is a certain amount of disruption prior to and on the day of the wedding. Despite these reservations I would reccomend Montelucci as a holiday destination as my reservations are minor and the overall holiday experience was relaxing and enjoyable.

Room Tip: Wi fi only available in the reception area. Did not extend to our room or to to the poolside.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Mary D
DirezioneMontelucci, Proprietario at Montelucci Country Resort & Agriturismo di Charme, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2015

Dear Mary
Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience of our Resort on TripAdvisor.

I was a pleasure to have you staying with us and I am delighted that Montelucci offered you the homely and inviting atmosphere you were looking for, and that you enjoyed the outstanding beauty of our region.

We apologize for the inconvenience regarding your room.

I very much hope to have the opportunity and pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 7 September 2015

Spent a wonderful week here with my family (including three children – 6, 8 and 10) at the start of August 2015. The buildings and the surrounding landscape are absolutely beautiful, and the place has a very friendly and laid-back atmosphere. Claudia, Francesca and Francesco could not have been more helpful. We often ate by the pool for lunch, and the food was always fresh and delicious. (And we love the Montelucci red wine....) For more formal evening meals we went to the restaurant that’s behind reception – and also had great food. Nearby Arezzo (c 25 mins drive) was stunning – we found it less touristy than some other Tuscan towns, but with fantastic architecture and churches. We also drove to San Gimignano - particularly great for kids with the municipal tower to climb and world champion ice-cream. Most of our time, however, was spent by the swimming pool at Montelucci, reading or admiring the views whilst the kids swam.
We had two superior rooms right opposite each other – one sleeping two, the other three; though we usually rent apartments, the two-room approach worked fine for us. We really appreciated the clean towels every day, and the daily maid service. Loved it! Thanks to all the team.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
DirezioneMontelucci, Proprietario at Montelucci Country Resort & Agriturismo di Charme, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2015

Dear Dawn,

Thank you for staying with us.