“Would go back for sure!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sol Rio de Luna y Mares

Sol Rio de Luna y Mares
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Guardalavaca
Gatineau, Canada
“Would go back for sure!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Can't say anything bad about the Sol Rio de Luna y Mares. The beach was alsolutely beautiful. We had the best view from our balconies (my friend and I had connecting rooms). The food was very good, especially at the Romantico, Mexican and French Restaurants. The staff was soooooo nice, always smiling and very helpful (thank you again Yadira - you are the best!). I would go back without hesitation and highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Mares Buildings (we were in the 4017 and 4018).
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
9 Thank Jocey26

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,353)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Canning, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

This is a great resort and certainly top value for your vacation dollar. This was our second time there and have received great service both times. The staff are very friendly and accommodating if you have questions or concerns. Rooms are very clean. There are several options if you spend the day at the resort, a great beach plus 2 swimming pools (one quiet). We enjoy sitting in the lobby bar area, with a coffee or cocktail, looking out over the swimming pool and the ocean beyond. The beach, a 25-30 minute walk from one end to the other and back, has lots of palapas and shade palms, and they are spaced far enough apart that you don't feel jammed up against your neighbour. Watersport staff are friendly, but not pushy. 2 bars (snackbars at lunchtime) on the beach, 2 bars at each pool, and a pizza bar, ice cream bar, and buffet nearby. Some people do not like the 60 steps down from the pool to the beach, but we find it good exercise, and there is also a secondary sloped walkway to access the beach. Entertainment is quite good, both in the late afternoon in the lobby bar area, and in the evening at the theater. A la carte restaurants are very good - we liked the French and Italian the best - and the staff at the Luna reception desk can usually find you a seat at a restaurant if you ask. We rented a taxi (CubaCar) to go to Guadalavarca - 6 pesos one way; 15 pesos return and the driver will wait for you if you wish to shop at the market for an hour or so. All in all, great staff; great resort.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank KevinandAllison
Enfield, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

This was our first trip to Cuba. The Sol Rio de Luna Mares was recommended to us by a couple who had been to this resort 6 times. We stayed in room #1004. The room faced the back of the resort. It was very private with our own balcony.This was fine for my husband and I. There was ocean view rooms but we had requested first floor accommodation and that's what we got. It was perfect. It was clean, bed was comfy and the bathroom was spotless. I think it may have been renovated recently as other Trip Advisor reviews talked about how dingy their bathroom was. There are no alarm clocks in the rooms, so I recommend you take a travel clock with you. The room was supplied with shampoo, 2 beach towels, liquid body soap, a coffee maker, fridge, 1 large bottle of spring water each day, cable TV and a hair dryer. We packed a pint of coffee cream (doubled bagged) and instant coffee and made our morning coffee by running water through the coffee maker. The buffet coffee is like molasses. Very very strong. The glasses they use for your drinks are very flimsy, small & thin. I recommend taking your own travel mug. Use it for your morning coffee and then for your toddies.The food was delicious. There was a great selection at the buffet every meal. Unfortunately we did not try any of the al a cartes. But we heard that the French one has excellent pouched Atlantic salmon. The resort is very easy to get around. There are two beach bars & grills. They serve hamburgers, fries, hot dogs, sandwiches, fish & chicken. We took a horse and buggy (5 Pecos per person) to a flea market that was 15 minutes away. The driver let us shop for an hour and half ,then took us through a small village that housed most of the resort workers. My husband took his fishing rod and fished everyday for 2 hours. He found a secluded spot at the back of the resort. There were local fisherman who spoke very good English and they even invited us back to their house. But we ran out of time. The evening entertainment started in the hotel lobby each night. It's a great place to have a drink, meet new people and relax. The beach is amazing. We found the best place to swim was in front of the life guard station. No rocks...just pure soft sand.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Greta001
New Brunswick, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Returned from a one week stay from March 23/30 , my husband and my self.
My brother and sister-in-law arrived 3 days later.
As stated by others the property is very dated and in need of some TLC, although it is very clean with no issues in that regard, our room was very clean but tired looking, the bed was comfortable, everything worked properly, we had hot water and lots of pressure any time we had our shower,day or night, we were in the Luna side in building 8. the problem is that everything is sooo far from everything else. although it is not a large property it is spread out. I was surprized at the lack of hand railings dividing stairs and ramp ways, the little lips, (half a steps up or down) you constantly have to watch your step, while there a lady missed a step and fell and broke her ankle, we witnessed this, very scary indeed, On March 26th in the evening the lights went out several times (just for a few mins.) BUT NO EMERGENCY LIGHTING, and it was so dark that you could not see your hand in front of you. this happened 2 times that evening, people were using lights from thiers phones and such. I was totally shocked by that.

The beach is one of the nicest I have been to and we have gone south 11 times in 13 years to AIl Inclusives, We spent all of our time on the beach, it gets very windy however, but it is nice to keep you cooled down, the water is warm and inviting, but when the wind blows it can make for some larger waves and it is fun and you get sand blasted tooo. The beach is very wide and long, lots of shade and not to much of the towel game going on, unless you have a paticular spot that you wanted then it is suggested that you mark your spot. One thing though they do need another bar at the beach with a washroom, as there is a bar and washroom at each end of the beach and nothing in the middle so makes for a little treak if you are seated in the middle.

The weather was just awesome in the 30's all week we had a sprinkle one afternoon for about 2 mins. and that was it.

I was not fond of the food, BUT that is me I'm a very picky eater, don't get me wrong there was lots to eat and my husband had no issue, it just tasted all the same to me, I have this issue most every time we go south so I'm used to not having to much to eat on holiday. There are many restaurants, the 24 hour snack bar in the Luna side had burgers/fires, pizza, hot dogs ect. and actually they weren't that BAD .. :) We found the ice cream bar on the last day, darn, cause they have the best coconut ice cream ever, it is just to die for.

they have many bars, and the drinks vary depending on who gets them for you, a few times I asked for a strawberry Diaquiri and got beer, oh well no worries I drank the beer then tried again for the Diaquiri.

We only went to 3 shows, the water ballet was very nice, the other 2 well lets just say the tried. it was painful, but this is not broadway, we saw the black light show and the magic show, the magic show was horrible, not that the magic was horrible, but they dragged it out and when changing sets they had a Michael Jackson impersonator, I guess he was ok but I was never a fan so we just left after the 2 time he was out, and we never went back to another show. Remember to each his own right, I just was not fond of it is all.
I found the place to be very clean and that is what is important to us, the other stuff is just that, stuff. as long as I have a clean place to lay my head I'm happy.

One last thing the staff for the most part are friendly and inviting, it too is hit or miss, BUT we met some AWESOME staff, one that comes to mind is Raydel Dias, he works security, and what a sweet man he is. We loved him, he was so cheerful and pleasant even after working many, many, many long hours standing up, all for very little money, he was a wealth of information and no question was out of the question, although we had travelled before we found Raydel to be most forth coming and he didn't mind answering our questions, he speaks 3 languages (self taught mind you) it is a shame that he is a hidden gem in security when he could be out front intermingling with the guest. The hotel and guests would benifit from having him in the fore front. We were totally impressed by this guy, and we do not impress easily mind you. If you go please tell him that Nancy and Glenn say hello from Canada. We would love to meet up with him again someday. He certianly could teach some customer service to some people right here in Canada that's for sure.

In closing, I would only give the place a 3* rating, especially for the danger level, and that everything is so far from everything else. But as for location it is top notch, and Raydel Dias he gets a 5* in our book.

If anyone has any questions at all I would be more than happy to answer them.
Thanks for reading. Nancy & Glenn

Room Tip: I think that most top floor rooms on the Luna side would be ocean view, can't say for sure as we...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank penneylane
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Everything you can expect from Cuba for 2300 CAD for 1 week for 3 people.
One thing was horrible for me.... rooms, they really need renovation, I was uncomfortable, especially in a bathroom.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 2008Julia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guardalavaca
6.3 km away
Royalton Cayo Santa Maria
Royalton Cayo Santa Maria
#1 of 14 in Cayo Santa Maria
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,870 reviews

Been to Sol Rio de Luna y Mares? Share your experiences!