We came to Emerald Beach for sports and relaxing. Well, relaxing worked very well, sports were a bit special at first.
The hotel was perfect. It has two parts, a quiet part (Luna) and a part with action (Mares). They had life cuban music every evening in a quality rarely found anywhere in europe.
The beach is perfectly caribbean. All the colors are there. Sufficient trees for shade abundant.
The hotel is older, but in a good shape. The rooms in the Luna part (we did not see the other) are comfortable and have a lot of space. The staff was very friendly and helpful, English is no problem to them. Many staff members speak french, some german.
Sports - Sailing meant you have to sign in for a hobie-ride out and back to the beach, you are carried by a cuban sailor, don't do anything by yourself, just enjoy.(Forget Wind-Surfing, they are closing the spot when the wind is strong enough). Well, the hobie sailers were excellent and the organization of scuba diving was perfect, so we had a lot of sporty action and fun.
Cuban life - you'll have to go to Holguin or -better- to Santiago de Cuba by taxi. Go in the morning, the taxi driver will always wait for you to go back. It is not expensive. If you can, book a saturday overnight tour at one of the hotel travel agents, it's fantastic, if you like the cuban music (you cannot stay in a hotel without pre-booking).
Let go your expectations, dive into caribbean life, enjoy the stylish beach restaurants of the hotel and the nice people you can meet here.
We had a great time here and we are sure to come back.
Achim, Ursula and Julia(17)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Four -Star All Inclusive Resort with 464 rooms. Located beachfront in Playa Esmeralda, on the northern coast of Holguin province, where visitors will be amazed by the dazzling superposition of blues and greens from the sea, sky and costal shrubbery. This hotel complex is surrounded by extensive green areas and offers a wide variety of services and attractions. Recommended for families, weddings, honeymoons and tourist groups.Guest Rooms464 rooms: 308 Standard, 108 Standard Ocean View, 30 Standard Superior Ocean View, 6 Junior Suite, 4 Suite, 8 Family Suite Ocean ViewDining7 Restaurants (A la Carta, Buffet), 6 Bars ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Melia Hotels APAC and Booking.com so you can book your Sol Rio de Luna y Mares reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sol Rio De Luna y Mares Hotel Guardalavaca
- Sol Rio De Luna y Mares Resort