“Excellent Afternoon Tea”

Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Skelton
Price range: US$5 - US$13
Cuisines: Healthy, Cafe, Soups
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Our cafe is situated inside Skelton Garden Centre and seats 48 in comfortable light and airy surroundings, including an outdoor covered area which makes a pleasant setting in suitable weather. The family-run cafe offers a sumptuous range of hot and cold sandwiches, soup and delicious quiches, as well as homemade cakes and scones. All our food is freshly prepared on the premises and made to order. We are situated conveniently near the footpath and cycle track which go through Skelton and we welcome all visitors for tea and scones, a spot of lunch or a cool beverage.
Reviewed 20 January 2016

This afternoon tea definitely had the WOW factor!! Freshly made sandwiches, fruit scones with jam & fresh cream, homemade carrot cake, mini trifle and a pot of tea all for £12!! I saw another customer having an all day breakfast, that looked fab too! There was a number of other homemade cakes in the display cabinet also. I recommend anyone to go to this cafe and it's located within a small garden centre too. I will definately be going back.

Reviewed 24 June 2015

I have had coffee and cake here previously and thought it was ok, but today, there were a number of issues. First, there was a 20 minutes wait for a baked potato and tiny amount of salad with a dollop of coleslaw which hardly takes much preparation. There was no warning of the expected time and no apology on delivery. Secondly, a mistake with the order meant a further wait - again, no apology. Third, a sarcastic comment from the waitress about the heat in the kitchen being worse than the heat in the restaurant when we asked for the door to be opened for some fresh air. Fourth, dirty cushions on the only chairs with cushions. Finally, (and this may the garden centre, not the cafe's responsibility) no toilet paper in one toilet and no holder on the wall either. Altogether a rather shabby feel.
I'm sorry to be so negative; I normally provide good reviews, but I have to be honest. This was a poor experience and the staff were not at all friendly.

Helen A, Manager at The Maple Leaf Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2015

Dear HP,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on your visit to our café although I am disappointed that with your rating, especially as it is at total odds with the rest of the reviews from our other satisfied customers.

I thought I would take the opportunity to respond to your comments as I happened to be one of the members of staff working in the café during your visit.

Unfortunately you ordered your meal of two jacket potatoes directly after five other customers, who were all queuing in front of you, and why you were given a table number 6. At our establishment we fulfil meals in the order they are placed, hence the waiting time of 20 minutes, which at 1pm over lunchtime is usually not considered to be an overly long wait.

On your initial order of one potato with coronation chicken and one with tuna, I informed you immediately that we had run out of chicken. You then decided on two potatoes with tuna which I believe I fulfilled correctly and as soon as I was able to. Had there been a mistake with the order it certainly was not mentioned and therefore we were not given the opportunity to recify it.

I maintain good relationships with all our regular customers, and engage in light-hearted conversation. The comment about the very heat was meant in jest aimed at the people at the table next to yours (who in fact were the ones who asked for the door to be opened). It was in no way meant to be sarcastic so I can only apologise if it was interpreted it in this way.

Regarding the toilet roll and hand paper - the garden centre staff check the toilets every day to top up and replace these disposable items regularly but unfortunately these can run out on occasion.

Tripadvisor only recently awarded us with a Certificate of Excellence for our outstanding customer reviews based on our attention to detail when it comes to our food and customer service. I am disappointed you did not have a similar experience on your visit and I hope my reply helps answer your concerns.

Kind regards, Helen

Reviewed 11 May 2015

we got a groupon voucher for afternoon tea . and paid extra £1.50ea for sandwiches, so total paid £10. it was the best afternoon tea we have had, beautifully presented, colorful and very yummy. the little trifles were an excellent touch and just had a extra wow factor. would recommend a visit well worth not to mention the range of plants i took home. very enjoyable afternoon

Reviewed 4 May 2015

upgraded our groupon voucher for sandwiches. Excellent value for money. Delicious sandwiches and cakes. Delightful garden centre with a wonderful selection of plants and shrubs. Excellent menu with breakfasts served until 3pm. Would return.

Reviewed 3 May 2015

Upgraded our Groupon voucher to include sandwiches. Freshly prepared with plenty of fillings, we were not disappointed, and only paying £3 for the two of us. Fruit scones, butter jam and cream with my favourite ginger cake. A really nice addition to the platter is the fruit trifle, really loved this. I am pleased that after our last visit the cafe seemed to be quite busy. The staff are welcoming, working hard to make your visit pleasant and enjoyable. The garden centre is stocked with a good selection of plants, again it seemed to be busier on our visit. We will definitely be coming back, the scones and cake are really worth a try.