“A return visit”

Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Flaxton
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 8 March 2017

Not long ago my wife and I had lunch here ordering from the fixed menu which we enjoyed very much. I noticed however that snails were featured on the main menu and I was keen to return ti try the a la carte.

Surprisingly for Sunday lunch the restaurant was less than half full and Thierry showed us to a pleasant table (I had booked but the first table we were offered was poorly positioned).

I ordered the snails of course which were served swimming in hot garlic butter. I've had bigger snails in France but the taste was as expected. Delicious. My wife ordered a salmon salad which was not only generous in size but much to her taste. The salmon was served more in a chunky style than thinly sliced and lightly smoked (on the premises Thierry advised).

For mains I chose venison which was served as a pie. Plenty of venison but as is so often the case, far from tender. My wife chose pork which came with a side dish of ratatouille. On expressing her disappointment that there were no green vegetables Thierry quickly produced a second side dish of steamed mixed vegetable.

As I was driving we limited ourselves to one glass of wine each, for me a young but very enjoyable Bordeaux, for her a glass of Shiraz which met with her approval, Generous poutings. well priced at $8 each.

Although we didn't need a dessert we decided to share a creme brûlée. As expected Thierry knows how to produce this standard French dessert unlike many.

Overall a very enjoyable and satisfying meal but I can't help comparing it with the three course set menu which at $35 a head is nearly half what we paid a la carte. Admittedly the choices are limited but it would be difficult not to find something that appealed.

Unlike many restaurants Thierry's wine charges are very reasonable both by the glass and the bottle. He also offers BYO at $2.50 per head.

Le Relais offers food cooked and presented in the French style by a chef who not only knows what he's doing but clearly enjoys doing it as well.

We look forward to an early return (for the set menu!).

Reviewed 8 March 2017

What more can I say the view is great the food is great and check out the brilliant car collection !

Reviewed 6 March 2017

Back again 18 months later food always consistent. Theirry owner and a great "Mine Host". Four of us lunching and chose from the fixed priced three course menu, which is very reasonably priced. Two enjoyed the usual beautiful sweet potato soup, so good never comes off the menu. My mushroom dish was wonderful in the French style. Other friend chose the salad, it was huge and was a winner with him. We all chose the fish fillets wrapped around a lovely seafood mousse. All the sweets were great. Loaded up with some very well priced provisions from the shop. Love this place wish we lived closer Cindy & Thierry run a wonderful establishment.

1  Thank v0gue
Reviewed 28 February 2017

We attended there for my birthday. It was a wonderful experience. With silver service and real roses on each table! The menu was extensive and also there was a set menu offering very good quality items at a very reasonable price. As the Chef is French the meals were wonderful. The owners made us feel very welcome when we arrived and had a good chat during the night. We would defintely visit again.

Reviewed 18 January 2017

This is French food and you have 2 options, choices from the set menu which is very reasonable priced to alacarte which is more expensive. The wine selection is also very good