“Excellent Food and hosts”
Review of The Anchor

The Anchor
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 September 2017

We booked here for two couple celebrating a birthday. The decor is lovely and the restaurant is very cosy. The food was lovely. There was a great variety on the menu and something for everyone. I did think the drinks were over priced, especially the wine but because my steak was perfectly cooked and no one had to send food back, I gave it 5 stars. During the evening the restaurant became very busy and a table of about 10 were placed behind us. They were so noisy and we could not hear each other speak. We had a word with our host and she moved us straight away. No questions asked. The noise was not the restaurant's fault, it was inconsiderate customers who didn't care less about anyone else. We would definitely return here and would recommend if you want a perfectly cooked dinner.

Reviewed 16 September 2017

I was there with a party of 6 (including children) for Sunday lunch. The roast dinners were tasty (I had pork shin), beautifully presented with extra sauces available at the table. They have a good choice of drinks and interesting desserts too. The pub is decorated to a high standard in an up-to-date, trendy yet original, fun and cosy style. Staff were friendly and helpful - an all positive experience. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

Visited whilst in the area on the 12th September late afternoon for an early dinner. The menu was good with plenty of choice and not particularly your run of the mill food either. I opted for a Thai crab fishcake starter followed by the Wagyu burger. The starter was beautifully presented, but I don't think homemade however it was a high standard for delivered food so the cost was justified as there are cheaper versions of the dish out there which are often charged at premium prices. The burger was huge, extremely thick and very tasty. Home made I would suggest this time and the bun was nicely done with the portion of French fries being just right. My friend who has to have a gluten free diet was well looked after choosing the catch of the day which was turbot served with crushed new potatoes, cauliflower puree and sandfire. It was looked amazing and I wish I had chosen that too. My only niggle with my burger was that I seemed to have a few bits of fat in it which I don't like (not enough for me to complain) and for that reason alone I have given four stars. However I should make mention that having worked in the hospitality industry myself the young man who served us was outstanding as a waiter, knowledgeable of the menu, fully aware of the gluten free aspect and very good when it came to taking the drinks order, making suggestions and knowing exactly what gins were on offer as well as the wines. All in all a very pleasant meal with excellent service. Thank you.

Reviewed 13 September 2017

We went for an early pub dinner with my 3 year old daughter. Our food was delicious (trio of lamb for husband and sea trout for me) and the kids menu was great- with healthier options too. My husband had delicious pudding and they also catered for my fussy tastes by doing me a bespoke pudding on request! We don't live nearby but have been trying to find an excuse to visit again.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

My partner and I visited The Anchor on Sunday evening (10th September) just before the food stopped being served .

I had rung in advance to ask if a roast dinner could be put aside for me , and the gentleman on the phone was so pleasant and arranged that for me.

We were looked after right from the start by the lovely Jack . Jack gave us brilliant attention and made us feel really relaxed and welcomed after what had been a busy working day . Jack was very interested in our lives without being at all intrusive . Nothing was too much trouble for him and we really enjoyed his insights and hospitality. Jack was passionate about his job and keen to promote and raise the profile of The Anchor further.

The food was delicious , as were the drinks and the other staff were very friendly.

Thanks to Jack for making our visit such a great one . We will definitely recommend The Anchor and hope to be back soon.

Thanks once again !