Hotels.com
DanO68
Alexandra, New Zealand
Excellent jungle hospitality!
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 29 Oct 2023
We spent 2 nights at the Sumbiling Eco Village while on a 3 day jungle tour with Borneo Guides and really enjoyed it. The camp is right on the banks of the Temburong River and most chalets have great views over the river. We were warmly received by the friendly lodge manager Uni who gave us a great rundown of the property. She took very good care of us during our stay, organizing and leading some of our excursions and ensuring that we were well looked after. Our room was a small, basic A-frame chalet on the edge of the river with nice views. The whole chalet was well-ventilated and fully insect screened with a couple of fans to came the air moving around inside. A balcony would have been very nice on which to admire the river scenes, but a least we had a large screened window to look out of. The bed comprised some thin-ish mattresses on the floor with a light sheet. The chalets do not have ensuites so you have to use the communal toilets showers next to the main lodge area. We were virtually the only ones there much of the time, so pretty much a private use of the facilities. Be warned that they do not provide towels – you need to bring your own – which we found very inconvenient. Luckily I had a single small hand towel with which my wife and I shared. The food was excellent, generally comprising traditional Malay dishes, full of flavor and natural ingredients – loved it! We had a few really heavy downpours and were surprised to find that they didn’t even provide umbrellas for the guests to get around the camp. Something that needs improvement. There are plenty of areas to sit and relax along the riverfront provided it’s not too wet. Bring mosquito repellent as there are the occasional mosquitos flying around, but it wasn’t too bad. All the excursions (rainforest hike, night walks, river trips, etc) were all excellent and highly recommended. Great guides and lots of interesting plants and animals to see both day and night. Overall we had a great stay and would recommend it to other travelers looking for a great jungle experience.
Date of stay: September 2023
78.8 km from Sumbiling Eco Village
39.4 km from Sumbiling Eco Village
69.4 km from Sumbiling Eco Village
View more hotels in Batang Duri
All reviews the river canopy walk great trip life waterfall mosquitoes eco bbq
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 January 2023 via mobile

Great trip, including river boat ride, rain forest hike with 747 steps, high bridge walk and waterfall. Canopy walk on high bridge was spectacular! Really enjoyed our day. Fikri was a great guide and very knowledgeable! Would definitely recommend!!

Room tip: Don't let the climb put you off, it's taken at a steady pace and the view was spectacular at the top.
Date of stay: January 2023
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 August 2022

Went here for a night to spend my weekend away from our busy hustling life. The moment we reached the village, Eco Owner greeted us with smiles and asked if we have eaten/drink. My partner and I was originally worried about toilet annd was proved wrong as the toilet/shower facilities is very clean and spacious. This place has everything you need to have a spiritual cleansing from your busy life from just chilling next to the river, to bbq grilling and making marshmallows. Would definitely come here agajn and recommend others to try this place out! 11/10 (extra 1 pt as there was little to no mosquitoes 😂)

Date of stay: August 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2020 via mobile

After reading raving reviews online and looking at pictures of what a gem Temburong has to offer. I’ve decided to inquire availability dates for a weekend getaway at Sumbiling Eco Village. I sent an email to their official website for an inquiry. Initial conversation was pleasant at first until a few exchange of emails with their Manager, Julia Yen. Either way, I was taken aback with the level of poor customer service she portrayed. She asked to Whatsapp her instead in the evening and she replied but when asked for a phone call to inquire further. She stated that it wasn’t a convenient time (which is acceptable). I asked to be contacted at a convenient time. I emailed again to follow up on a query stating my dissatisfaction on the absent follow up and she responded not with an apology but with a poor attitude defending her actions.

I am utterly disgusted with the level of professionalism Julia has portrayed and request the management of Sumbiling Eco Village to properly train your employees at all levels in the organization to be able to respond to customer queries with hospitality ethics. I expect employees in the hospitality industry to be polite at a minimum to all customers.

Nonetheless, I do look forward to visiting Sumbiling Eco Village soon as I will not allow a single employee’s incompetence dissuade me from exploring what Sumbiling Eco Village has to offer. I am sure, there are other friendly natured souls in town.

Date of stay: July 2020
3  Thank amirulghani
Reviewed 14 January 2020

Other than them getting our pickup time wrong and losing a couple of hours of the trip, it was an enjoyable trip. The facilities are basic which is fine. The food nice. The swimming hole was a highlight. The canopy walk was really enjoyable - but only if you're fine with heights. There aren't any animals to see but the jungle and river are quite scenic.
The accommodation opens out on to the river but has mozzie protection and is quite cute. It's basically a glamping tent type arrangement.
My main issue with the trip is that I could have stayed in the fanciest hotel and gone to the fanciest restaurant in Brunei for much cheaper. There seems to be a huge markup on very basic facilities and food.

Date of stay: January 2020
1  Thank craigdX554GG
Reviewed 5 January 2020

During the adventure, my friends and I was suppose to stay until new years 2020. But I could not because of family events. I was quite woeful that I did not manage to stay all the way with my brothers (as I only stayed for one night) and that was how fun the experience was in Sumbiling Eco Village.

The members of the facilities there guided us well and provided us with exciting thoughtful adventures. They are very friendly and their services are great! My memories are a bit wilt so the things I am about to state will not be in order. First we all got to hike in the morning, another would be heading to the rapid rivers to later float away on the current with our tube donuts, hike some more to then learn about the wilderness in the jungle, cook in the jungle with bamboos! How cool is that right? swim/ in certain rivers that's located near the village and stayed in this locally well made huts that can fit many of my friends and I. Definitely a trip that would be good for your friends and family. You will certainly see me coming here again eheh

Date of stay: December 2019